Sunday, January 22, 2017

Reflection Post #1

Communication is when a person sends a message to a recipient and the recipient understands the message being put through and would be able to give feedback on the message. I feel that my strength in communication is having the ability to communicate to strangers and send a message to my recipient without them being confused. I usually give some simple explanation regarding the topic and maybe some gestures that allows them to clear any doubts. Additionally, I would also prefer having a verbal communication as it is much more intimate with the other party. In contrast to using written communication, I seldom feel that the way I pen out my thoughts would not be similar to what I have in mind.

The challenges faced when communicating others is when they do not fully understand what you are trying to say. Some of them have different ways of interpreting your message. A way to reduce this confusion is to address the issue individually to the people who would still be unsure of the point you are trying to get through. An example would be when meeting new people and you would need to conduct a meeting or do a project together, sometimes you have ideas that you think would be easy to understand however it could end up confusing a person or even worse, causing misunderstanding in the group.


Firstly, I hope that the class materials will help me to further improve my interpersonal communication skills. During the recent lesson, I learnt that different people have different personalities and each one of them have different ways to approach. I could try to apply different types of approaches for people based on the advice given by the website to do the personality test. Secondly, I also hope that I can be a better presenter as I would tend to mess up some ideas that I would have rehearsed before the presentation. With the upcoming presentation as the assignment, I would have an opportunity improve myself to be a more confident speaker.

3 comments:

  1. Aziz, thanks for sharing. I see your attempt to answer the task on strengths, challenges and objectives.

    The paragraph on objectives is the clearest of all. While the first paragraph (on strength) is directed at yourself, the second (on challenges) is directed at no one in particular.

    I'd like for you to revise the post on 2 points:
    1. The description should be pertinent to you, i.e. not theoretical / objective information about communication. Apply to yourself what you now know about communication.
    2. Relevant details would help make the description vivid and real. Do use concrete terms -- and images as well, if you like.

    When you have done that, you might want to focus attention on language. Although on the whole, the message is evident, closer editing and proofreading will enhance the quality of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to be able to be a better written communicator in like long written context is to write/type as you talk so that it would be similar as to how you communicate verbally. It has been working for me so hopefully it works for you and if not there are other ways to practice.

    I feel that you can probably work on using different words like descriptive words that can help bring clarification better so that you are more able to tell your ideas with less confusion and friends can understand your idea flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on what you said " In contrast to using written communication, I seldom feel that the way I pen out my thoughts would not be similar to what I have in mind."
    Writing words can not show other on how much feeling or thoughts your are having while writing. But when we talk out to the other party, our expression and tone shows our feeling with the act of the listener actively listening you and understand you.

    For your challenge, i believe is depend on how close are you to the person, because if people who know you will understand when to read between the lines and when not to. But this take time and take other person trust in you. Which trust is need to be earn and not given. With your attitude and friendly character, i believe the challenge will be eliminated slowly as you make more closer friend and they really understand you.

    ReplyDelete